Monday, June 18, 2007

Der Untertang (The Downfall) and Others

Its been long since I posted something on my blog. Have lost out on the new one I started. Its all because I have been reading a lot off late.

But then, time and again there are some things that inspire me to mention of them in high regard. Of those was the DVD's which I picked up last week.

Der Untertang(The Downfall) is a movie inspired from a book about the final days of Hitler in the bunkers before his downfall. Ravaged by the Russian's in 1945, who then ask Hitler to surrender unconditionally, this story tells us of his unwillingness to do so. It is a story told through the eyes of one of his secretary Traudl Junge. The movie follows the events that unfold into Hitler's suicide and the surrender by its Army General's. It depicts the raw spirit of nationalism that Hitler exhibits towards his nation, in turn not acknowledging the very human lives who make it up. Its also tells the story of the General's, some of who are completely faithful to their Fuhrer' and some who choose to betray him.

Though being a German movie and in its national language, the subtitle's conjure up the proceedings. Its slow paced, but brilliantly edited. The acting is absolutely first rate, if not mindblowing. Watch an unknown Bruno Ganz play the Fuhrer. Its a character he brings out so explicitly that you feel you are watching the Fuhrer himself. Watch out for the body actions which depict Hitler of suffering the Parkinson's disease. The war sequences are executed with commendable finesse.

I was completely awed at the end of this 3 hour drama. It just felt as if I was drawn into the place and that the events were for real.

In one word this is an absolute classic. Rent/Smuggle this from the nearest DVD store and I am sure you will agree with me no ends. Also thinking of picking up the book Inside Hitler's Bunker by Joachim Fest.

And another weekend classic I picked up this week was an old timer called "See no evil, hear no evil". I remember watching this when I was around 10 on my age - meter.

Its about these two fella's , one who is blind and the other deaf. They fall into a trap where they are accused of the murder they did not commit. How they manage to find the killers and prove themselves innocent is what the story is about.

Its a hilarious movie, if you are looking to laugh your guts out. The two actors manage to depict their handicap with all simplicity and all filled with humor.

Again, its a recommendation that wont dissapoint anyone. Pick it up and garnish it with a popcorn in hand.

No comments: